Email Envelope Icon

You are using an old browser

GF Electrical does not support older versions of browsers due to our commitments to ensuring your experiance and safety on GF Electrical are well looked after.

Dont worry though, you can click the button below to upgrade your browser.

Go back
Posted on June 6, 2023

Child Safety Week

This week is Child Safety Week, we thought we would use this week to share some important tips on how to keep your children safe around electricity.  

  • Don’t rely on blanking plugs, these won’t prevent electric shock if your installation is not safe. 
  • The only way to be safe from fatal electric shock and reduce fire risk is to have RCD protection. 
  • Keep all appliance leads out of reach from children – especially for hot items. 
  • Never leave an unconnected appliance lead plugged in and switched on, young children may put the end of the lead in their mouth. 
  • Don’t leave appliances such as washing machines or dishwashers running during the night or when you are out.  
  • All appliances should be switched off when not being used.
  • Ensure after having a shower or bath, children are fully dry before using a device.
  • Also not letting kids run straight from the paddling pool into the house! 
  • Keep all liquids away from anything electrical! 

Switched on Kids – from Electrical Safety First 

 

Dos & Don’ts for charging safety in Children’s or Teenagers’ Bedrooms!

As we know, children today are growing up with a lot more electronic gadgets than their parents did. However, most kids are unaware of the serious dangers. 

Some teenagers or children may leave their phone charging on their bed or sleeping with it under their pillow which leaves not only their life at risk but the whole household. Charging electronic devices can have major consequences and easily become fire hazards. 

Here is a list of Dos and Don’ts for charging safely in bedrooms: 

Do’s: 

  • Make sure laptops, phones, tablets are charged on a hard surface like a table. 
  • Make sure rooms are tidy and dust free. Clothing left on electrical devices such as game consoles can cause vents to be blocked and devices to overheat…then catch fire.  
  • Get into the habit of switching all electronic devices off before bed.  
  • Ensure to check sockets, plugs and cables for signs of wear.  
  • Make sure that children know how to use electric appliances safely.  

  Don’ts: 

  • Charge phones or other electronic devices on your bed or under a pillow as this can cause overheating and fires. It is best to avoid charging devices overnight.  
  • Use fake or unbranded chargers. Most do not meet UK safety regulations and can cause electric shock, injury or even a fire.  
  • Overload plug sockets!  
  • Put any liquids near electric appliances.  

Enjoyed this article? Here’s a few more you might like.

Emergency Lighting Isn’t Just a Convenience…

Emergency lighting isn’t just a convenience—it’s a critical component of building safety. Here’s why regular testing of emergency lighting systems is crucial:  Life-Saving Functionality In the event of a power…

Read Article
Mental Health Awareness Week 2024

Join us for Mental Health Awareness Week! From May 13th to May 19th, we’re stepping up our game to promote mental well-being! This year, we’re taking our fundraising efforts outdoors…

Read Article
Successfully Passed BAFE Assessment Once Again

We are thrilled to announce that GF Electrical Ltd has successfully passed the rigorous assessment by BAFE yet again. This achievement underscores our unwavering commitment to maintaining the highest standards…

Read Article